Recently I wrote an article for SpinOff magazine (Summer 2013). In it I described the technique called sprang. I shared information on making a replica of the Braddock / Washington sash. I also discussed re-spinning yarn to tighten up the twist for wool sashes. Back home after my travels, here I am, setting up to… Read more »
May 15 I visited with the Rochester Weavers. They have an amazing place in a strip mall. . Inside there is plenty of space for looms. I gave my talk on sprang, and the making of the replica Braddock-Washington sash in their multipurpose room in the back. My hostess was Denise Kovnat. Check out her… Read more »
Manitoba Day was celebrated at the Manitoba Museum last Saturday, May 11. I was among those invited to showcase the variety of cultural wealth of the Province. Now I’m off on my travels to the US, taking the sash replica to its final resting place. First stop, Rochester.
Going through my box of samples the other day, I came upon my not-quite-finished pair of mittens. Last November I had worked on some sprang mittens. The interlinking stitch is quite elastic. I opted instead for an interlacing stitch hoping it would be more windproof. I used my serger and a narrow strip of reinforcing… Read more »
Before leaving Winnipeg to tour around the US a bit, eventually delivering the Braddock sash replica to George Washington’s Mount Vernon, I chatted with the Manitoba Craft Council, of which I am am member. They made arrangements for me to give a ‘Craft Talk’ on the topic of sprang in general and this replica project… Read more »
The large flat warp seemed to need side panels, to transform it into a shirt. I created the side panels together, side by side. The two panels were ‘cut apart’ by removing a single thread. Well, actually I did not completely remove that thread, I used it to join one side of one of the… Read more »
Presently I am working on another sprang shirt. This one uses medium silk cord from Treenway silks. The motif was inspired by Coptic designs, such as those found on a cap at the Petrie Museum in London. Soon I will begin to create a slit for the neckline. The shirt might also want a pair… Read more »
I finally finished that tunic. Last December I started a tunic for that Cleveland Museum tunic project. The warp was some alpaca and silk wool from KnitPicks and proved to be quite sticky. Initially it seemed impossible to move the shed around and I abandonned this warp, in favor of a tried-and-true worsted, Mobelatta from… Read more »